Well, most of the oracle DBAs are very much interested in learning Oracle Applications 11i or R12. For that, we need a laptop with 3GB RAM and an external hard disc with min 350GB and lets start rolling. If you are thinking of Linux, VMWare workstation will do the trick to you. Oracle unbreakable Linux is preferred.
First of all you need to download all related package from e-delivery
(Now only R12.1.1 donwload avaliable there)
Once downloaded your required software package, start with Oracle Apps Documentation.
All the information available for Applications Releases 11i and 12 from this link
You must read the following documentation before start with oracle applications
- Oracle Applications Concepts
- Oracle Applications Installation Guide: Using Rapid Install
- Maintaining Oracle Applications Documentation Set
- Oracle Applications System Administrator’s Documentation Set
- System Administrator’s Guide – Maintenance
Once youare familiar with the architecture and the different components of Oracle Applications, consider the following:
- Install oracle Apps by yourself.
- Startup/Shutdown Applications
- Set up users/responsibilities/printers/Concurrent Managers etc..
- Practice Cloning and backup procedure
- Apply all kind of patches
- Practice AutoConfig to manage system configurations
- Try to Upgrade Database/Application tiers
If you are Database OCP holder, you can go for certification directly otherwise go for Oracle Apps training if you can afford it, and/or get the certifications. The certification track details available from the below links.
For better understanding oracle applications, please read some of the recommended books from the below links.
Oracle Applications DBA Field Guide (Expert’s Voice in Oracle)
Oracle Applications DBA Covers 11i and R12
Oracle Applications DBA Field Guide
System Administration for Oracle E-Business Suite (Personal Edition)
If any doubts, you can always get cleared from oracle blogs, there are good source of information for career development.
Always read and update with latest technology from Mr. Steven Chan’s blog, this is one of the best blogs available right now for oracle applications users.
Read, learn and practice what you have learned. And of course, post your questions in this OTN discussion forum, there are many experts who are willing to help you.
Welcome to the world of Oracle Applications 11i – R12.
“Thanks to my friend Aji for this post” http://oracleajidba.blogspot.com/